Logos are significant symbol for any company that represents the brand name and the vision of the business. People often remember the logos, which are eye-catching, meaningful and carry an overall feel-good factor. The famous name brands of corporate worlds have their logos designed by best of the professionals. Lot of thought process goes on for designing these exclusive logos, so that they can create a long lasting effect and connect to greater number of consumers. Fonts and logos play significant role in designing the emblems that drive world famous brands on everything from custom printed boxes to brand merchandise.
Ten different ways to develop perfect logos and fonts are as follows:
- Font Style: Choice of font style is very important for catering to a broader audience group. It is surprising that some of the best font styles of Microsoft Word do not work well for logos. Sans fonts are most popular for logo designing and around 63% companies prefer this font for logo designing. No other font can compete with the popularity of Sans, as Slab, Script and Serif fonts are used by only 12%, 11% and 8% companies respectively. Too complicated font styles should always be avoided.
- Font size: When questions come for noticing the logos, font size does matter. Too small fonts are hard to recognize and big ones does not look good. Easy readability should be the top priority while selecting font sizes. Also the fonts should look good after resizing the logos to smaller or bigger ones.
- Mix and match of fonts: A mixture of different font styles can bring great dynamism to a logo. But one should be extremely cautious while doing this kind of experiment, as slightest mistake may ruin the whole effort. Many of the experienced designers have mastered the skill of combining variety of styles in most creative way.
- Avoidance of gimmicky fonts: Most of the gimmicky fonts are way too fancy and cheap looking. They are not easily readable and typographically chintzy. Using gimmicky fonts is against professionalism. One should limit the font choice among classic and simple styles to avoid the over-crowded look of the logo.
- Use of bold, italics and underline options: Even for the most simply designed logo, one might need to highlight certain parts or texts. Using bold or italic style is very common for drawing customers’ attention or for ease of distinguishing between different sections. Using underlined texts is comparatively rare. These are the simplest options for altering texts to add diversity or to create unifying factors between different fonts in the same logo.
- Use of texts and icons: Icons and texts are two most important parts of logos, which are used in different combinations according to company’s spirit. 6% of the organizations use image or icon only, 37% use text only, while 56% of the companies use both text and icon for their brand logos.
- Selection of typeface: Typography is a very important aspect of logo designing. One can either adapt the existing typeface or can create his own style. Custom logo design includes hand-drawn typeface, which is always unique and way better than most gorgeous fonts.
- Removal of excess noise: Whatever icons or fonts are selected for the logo, it is very important to maintain the uniformity in color scheme, size range and font styles. Use of color variation and number of words or phrases should be kept limited. More the amount of free space in a logo less will be the distraction. It is also important to select the background colors carefully, so that the logo is not lost while placed on certain backdrops.
- Guidance through most noticeable area: It is crucial to know which fonts and designs draw more attention of the viewers. A good designer should have the ability to guide the viewer’s eye through the logo. One should not use any significant text or icon in unimportant space of the logo, as it might distract the audience attention from more important elements.
- Emphasis on tones and colors: Logos should look well both in black and white, as well as in colors. The colors convey specific meaning or significance for a logo, which is why it is also important to think about how the meanings can be reflected when the colors are removed from the logo. This can be achieved by increasing the contrast level between the components of a logo to convey the meaning even in monotone.
The best of the logos are simple yet innovative and aptly carry the eminent brand names. Logos and fonts should be developed carefully by experienced professionals for conveying company’s theme to greater number of customers.
Summary: Fonts and logos are the most important elements to create insignia for famous brand names. Development of a logo with appropriate text, fonts and images need professional finesse of experienced designers.
Author’s Bio: Emily Steves is a logo designer, who works in a renowned graphic designing company of North America. She is the part of the team for creating custom logo designs for top notch companies of the country.